If your students are anything like mine, all they want to talk about this week is the 2022 Academy Awards fiasco. This speaking activity is a mixture of debate and class discussion to look at the historical event through the context of multiple angles, featuring topics such as:
Events staged for the camera.
How far is “too far” for a comedian
When, if ever, can violence be a solution?
Regret and what each player involved “should have done” (third conditional)
Putting yourself in someone elses shoes (second conditional)
- Start off by asking your students what they already know about the event and the players involved.
- Introduce the players and ask what they know about their jobs and personalities.
- Let them watch the video (Yes, they’ve all already seen it. Yes, they want to see it again).
- Think – pair – share debate / discussion:
- Each slide has 1 or more questions to consider. Students should first discuss their opinions in small groups and afterwards have the opportunity to share their opinions with the class.
- There are several pages of questions and it’s not necessary to discuss them all in each class. Instead, I pick and choose the ones that I think will be most enjoyable for and within the capabilities of my (teenage) kiddos.
Works for: Students from 2 ESO to bachillerato (about 13 to 18 years old)
Material needed: Just a laptop and projector.
I hope you and your students enjoy as much as me and mine have!
Love & Light,