Teach English in Spain: BEDA Language Assistants

beda

2018.2019 BEDA Applications Closed

How did you manage to move to Spain? Man, oh man, if I had a centimo for every time someone asked me that one!

The truth is, these days learning English is all the rage in sunny Spain, and between the many English teaching programs out there, almost anyone can find a way in.

I’ve spent four years working as an English Language Assistant with BEDA (Bilingual English Development & Assessment) in the Canary Islands (Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria). Most of my experiences were positive and I’d absolutely recommend this program for those looking to live it up in Spain for a year (or four!).

In this post you can find an overview about what it’s like working for BEDA, and coming soon I’ll be posting a pro & con comparison of the various Language Assistant programs in Spain.

If you already know the BEDA basics, but want to hear about my first hand experience, skip to the end where I dish on the
pros and cons of my life as a BEDA auxie.

BEDA Basics

BEDA dates2018-2019.jpgBEDA monthly stipend

BEDA Locations

There are over 500 BEDA Language Assistants in about 365 schools; 300 of which are located in Madrid. You select your preferences when you apply, but ultimately the decision is up to the powers that be(DA). Since the vast majority of placements are in Madrid, you’re probably in luck if that’s your first choice.

BEDA Locations

Working with BEDA: What You Get

Monthly Stipend 💶

BEDA Assistants are assigned 18 – 24 hours per week and earn a monthly stipend which breaks down to about €12.50/hour. Social Security is taken out monthly, but you get virtually all of this back when filing Spanish taxes in the spring.

BEDA pay

The stipend is more or less enough to live off, but how much bang you get for your buck will depend a lot on where you’re placed, how many hours a week you’re assigned, and your personal spending style.

Most Language Assistants supplement their income with private tutoring, but you can probably squeeze by on the 20-24 hour-a-week stipend if you budget well. The first couple of months tend to be toughest (moving costs, new apartment, etc), but things start to balance out by December.

Is payment reliable?

Unlike the government program, payment with BEDA is always reliable and direct deposited within the first 5 days of the following month. In September and June you work 15 days so the payment is half that of a regular month.

Private & Public Health Coverage

Health Care: BEDA provides private health insurance through Adeslas, and unlike in the government program, we’re also eligible for seguridad social (public social security)

Social Security: BEDA Language Assistants pay into the Spanish Social Security system, which is awesome for 3 reasons:

1. We have access to public health care (in addition to private health insurance), meaning that we’re fully covered both at public and private hospitals.
  2. We get virtually all this money back when we file our Spanish taxes in spring.
  3. For those that may wish to find a more permanent situation in Spain later on, having a Social Security number is a step in the right direction.

Orientation and Support

BEDA provides a lot of support to help you get started when you arrive to Spain, which is totally in contrast to the government program where you’re left to fend for yourself.

• At the orientation in September, BEDA helps you fill out the immigration paperwork for the NIE and TIE and even make the appointment and accompany you to submit it at the immigration office
  • They help you to open a Spanish bank account
  • They’re actually there. Compared to the government program (which responds to about 25% of emails about once a month) the good folks at BEDA usually respond within a day or two. No matter how confident you are coming over, it never hurts to have someone in your corner in case you need it!

Working with BEDA: What You Give

BEDA School Days

Classroom BLURRED2.jpg

BEDA works with semi-private Catholic schools (concertados), meaning that they receive some funding from the government and some from tuition.

A typical day will vary from school to school, but in general most have classes from 8-1, a long lunch break, and again from 3-5. Since you´ll be spread out amongst a  varied group of students and classes, you’ll likely be there a lot of that time.

As far as your role and responsibilities will go, it’s pretty much up in the air. Some schools look after you, team teach and collaborate on lesson plans, while others give ya a wink and a nod and send you out into the hungry lion’s den classroom on your own. During my four years with BEDA, two of my schools were amazing and one was the absolute epitome of taking advantage of cheap immigrant (me) labor. More on that below.

BEDA Coursework – Universidad de Comillas

Comillas Courses: Within Madrid

BEDA Assistants working within Madrid are required to attend weekly courses at Comillas University, which are typically held on Fridays with an occasional Saturdaycomillas thrown in to mess up your weekend.

The classes are meant to be directly applicable to the classrom, such as lesson planning, classroom management, teaching methodology, etc. You’re also required to take Spanish classes unless you test out of them by proving you have a B1 level.

I never had to do these courses as I was placed outside of Madrid in the Canary Islands, but the general consensus I’ve heard through the grapevine is that while they’re a drag to go to, they’re reasonably helpful for newer teachers and a great place to meet new people.

Comillas Courses: Outside of Madrid

Assistants working outside of Madrid aren’t required to attend these courses (woohoo!), which was a big draw for me to ditch the capital and explore the islands instead. Auxiliares outside of Madrid are given access to a separate online course and are simply required to travel to Madrid in April to take two Cambridge Teaching exams each year they’re with the program.

BEDA Program: The Good, The Bad & My Two Cents

Having worked with both the government program (Ministry of Education) and BEDA, my pros and cons all come from a comparative standpoint.

The Good

• BEDA Assistants are always paid on time (within the first 5 days of the following month)
  • Earning €1200/month outside of Madrid vs. €700 (government program stipend) makes a BIG difference
  • Adeslas health coverage is great and we have access to public health services, meaning you’re covered virtually no matter what
  • BEDA offers hands on support to help with the bureaucracy of living abroad
  • Some LA’s will have the opportunity to train as Cambridge Speaking examiners, a resume builder and opportunity to make some extra cash

The Bad

• The hourly rate is less than that of the government program, who pay €1000 for 16 hours in Madrid and €700 for 12 hours outside of Madrid (about €15/hour)
  • Unlike the dreamy 3 day weekends of government program auxiliares, we BEDA suckas almost always work five days a week and often have both morning and afternoon classes
  • While no doubt useful, the weekend classes put a damper on livin’ it up for a year in Spain
  • Paying a $175 deposit to hold space for a job seems pretty crappy & counter-intuitive 🙄 I get that they need to be sure you’re serious in order to hold your place, but I absolutely think this deposit should be refunded upon completion of the contract.

My Two Cents

All in all, I’ve enjoyed my experience working with BEDA in the Canary Islands. Since cost of living is cheaper here than Madrid, the monthly stipend goes a bit further. I supplement my income with a few private classes (2-5 hours a week) and some freelance gigs to support my wanderlust, but if I was more of a homebody I could get by without.

Over four years, I’ve worked with 3 BEDA schools, one of which was amazing in every possible way, one of which I enjoyed a lot and made some lifelong friends at, and one of which completely takes advantage of the Language Assistant program, using it as a way to score cheap English teachers and pushing way more responsibilities than are outlined in our contract. Point being, the schools can be hit or miss, but as far as I can tell the majority are above par.

I’m definitely in the minority working outside of Madrid, so it’s also worth adding…

Madrid vs. Other Autonomous Communities

Unless you have your heart set on Madrid, BEDA gives you more bang for your buck in other communities. Here’s why:

• Unlike the government program which pays only €700 outside of Madrid, BEDA wages are determined by hours worked, not by where you live. €1200 a month goes a lot further outside of Madrid than within the capital
  • Language Assistants placed outside of the Comunidad de Madrid don’t have to attend weekend classes. I’m a lifelong learner, but I had zero desire to spend my Friday afternoons in a classroom after a long week of teaching!
  • Living outside Madrid adds an extra level of independence and immersion. Having lived in Madrid, I know how easy it can be to fall into the trap of making easy expat friendships as opposed to truly immersing yourself in your new home. Without the convenience of a million other auxiliares and Erasmus students, you’re forced to get out of your comfort zone and get in with the locals.

Still Interested?

2018.2019 BEDA Applications Closed

BEDA placements are much more competitive than the government program and not everyone gets a spot. To be a successful candidate, shine up you CV (resume) and be sure to boast any experience you have related to teaching and working with children.

Applications for the 2018/2019 already closed (sorry, bud!), but they’ll reopen in November or December of 2019 for the following school year. I’ll keep this post updated as new application dates open up.

Requirements

BedaRequirements

Bonus Points (but not necessarily required)

BedaBonusPoints.jpg

Application Process

BEDA How to Apply1. Submit your CV and application by the deadline.

2. Successful applicants will receive an email inviting them for a Skype interview (in English). It should last 5-15 minutes and isn’t something to stress over. Instead, think of it as an opportunity to highlight your relevant experience, express why you want to work in Spain, and to confirm your location and age group preferences.

3. Accept the position. Those accepted will be notified by email in late March or early April and given a week to make a $175 wire transfer to hold their space. Once you’re in, you’re in!

Questions?

If you have any other questions about my BEDA experience, let me know in the comments below! You can also take a look at this link for general information about what the BEDA program entails,  and here you can find BEDA’s FAQs.

And don’t forget to like and follow, as I’m compiling tons of information & resources about the various options to teach English in Spain. Make your Spain dreams a reality! 😉🇪🇸💃

Hasta luego, Erica 💙

PS: Thanks to freepic for the graphics 🙂 Infographic vector created by Freepik

© Erica Edwards and getupgetoutgetlost.com, 2016-2018. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Erica Edwards and getupgetoutgetlost.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

20 top tips
Advertisements

46 Comments Add yours

1. allyson says:

Thanks for this! It was really informative.

Glad you enjoyed it!

2. Different Frame of Mind says:

This was a fabulous and informative post! I have actually never heard of this program but it looks like something I might be interested in doing. Thank you so much for sharing this information!

Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Really interesting post! I also didn’t know that programs like this exist. I wish I’d known about it before I started my teaching career. Well written and very informative. Thanks!

1. Erica says:

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. From one teacher to another…. One week til holidays 🙂 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. This is great to read because it’s something for me to consider. Husband and I are traveling in Asia, but Spain seems like a place we want to stay for a few months. So if we budget well, we will hopefully make it there too. 24 hours a week isn’t that bad!

1. Erica says:

I’ll be doing a writeup soon about a similar program (sponsered by the Spanish government) that’s only 16 hours a week 🙂

5. amit says:

Such a great post for anybody looking to move to Spain and teach English. Being a long-term traveler that’s lived and worked around the world I get asked the same thing – Although I’ve not taught while I’ve traveled, I do know so many people who have. I think this is the first time I’ve heard of the BEDA program. I’m going to pass this post onto my brother who is looking to start his traveling life soon 😀

1. Erica says:

Glad to hear it! They definitely make it easy to get started working abroad, and he’ll have the whole of Europe to enjoy on weekends and holidays 🙂

6. Lara Dunning says:

Sounds like a great way to experience living in Spain and make a living. Thanks for breaking down the program and its pros and cons. If I did it, I would definitely choose a location outside of Madrid as I prefer small towns over big cities. Did you need to know Spanish to apply?

7. Erica says:

I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂 Priority is given to applicants with some Spanish knowledge, but by no means are you expected to be fluent when you apply. Part of the coursework offered by BEDA is Spanish classes, so you’re certain to improve your language skills while you’re here.

8. What a wonderfully informative post! Teaching in the Canary Islands sounds like such a resonant experience. Sounds like a great and rewarding way to experience the area!

1. Erica says:

It definitely allows you to explore the area in a way that a simple vacation doesn’t allow! Thanks for reading 🙂

9. I would say the pros outweigh the cons except the weekend courses! If I was working and living in Spain, I would want to take advantage of the weekends to travel around as well. BUT being in the Canary Islands is great and the experience sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing. We met a few people while in Spain that were teaching English there and I wondered how it all worked. Thanks

10. Katie @ Zen Life and Travel says:

I think I would love to do this if I was young and single! I have probably missed the boat on my opportunity for this! I never realized you would be eligible for health care with this type of job.

1. Erica says:

You’d be surprised how many people come over here with their families! Couples applying together can choose to only accept the position if they’re placed within the same community, and you can even enroll your children in local public or private schools 🙂

11. Great detailed breakdown. The Canary Islands sound like a nice place to do this program. Must be a very different experience compared to Madrid!

1. Erica says:

They both have a lot to offer, but I’m a sun and sand kindofa girl, so while I loved Madrid, Canarias is definitely more my cup of tea! Thanks for reading 🙂

12. Zue says:

How to submit my resume here?

1. Erica says:

Hi Zue! Follow this link to submit your resume: https://ecmadrid.org/en/language-assistant/81-training/1425-language-assistant .
      The link is also up above in “How to Apply” 🙂
      Good luck!

13. Danette says:

Is there a max age limit?

1. Erica says:

Hi Danette! Their website states that you must be at least 20, but doesn’t list a maximum age limit. From the Language Assistants I’ve met, I’d say the majority are from mid 20s to mid 30s, but I’m sure there are some outliers.

14. Maria says:

Hey Erica, Thanks for this awesome post! Do you know if BEDA offers positions in Barcelona? It’s listed in the drop down menu of their application for preferred cities…but I know sometimes those lists aren’t up to date! Thanks!

1. Erica says:

Hi Maria! A couple of years ago I asked BEDA about placements in Barcelona and they told me there weren’t positions there, BUT they’ve grown quite a bit over the last couple of years so it’s possible that now there are. They usually reply to emails pretty quickly so it would be worth it to give them a shout to confirm with them directly. Sorry I can’t give ya a more definite answer!

15. Shaily says:

Very informative post for anyone planning to teach English in Spain. I never heard of BEDA program before, but it’s great to know programs like these exist. Loved reading about your experience with it!

Thanks, Shaily!

16. I’ve never heard of the BEDA program before, but it sounds like something I’d be interested in sometime in the future (as today is the deadline for applications). I appreciate your two cents at the end where you compared your experiences. I would have thought you could make more in Madrid, but I now understand why that’s not the case.

1. Erica says:

Thanks for reading! There’s a few similar English teaching programs in Spain that are still accepting applications for the 2018/2019 school year. I’ll be doing a write-up on them soon, so keep an eye out! 🙂

17. Anete says:

I’d never heard of BEDA before. This seems like such a great opportunity. Would love to have such experience myself.

18. Jithin says:

English teaching is the best way to travel around the world, if you have the skills. Thanks for pointing out the opportunities in Spain

19. Lydia Smith says:

It might it’s con, but I think the BEDA program is such a thoughtful and helping scheme for expats. The process to enlist is quite easy too unlike some expat jobs where you need ‘tons’ of certificate. If only the peace money can be cancelled, every other thing looks great. Thanks for sharing this.

20. lcdorkin says:

Thi looks like such a helpful guide for anyone wanting to teach in Spain! It’s such a beautiful place to live and work!

21. Marquita says:

This seems like this was an awesome opportunity! I’m glad you outline the entire program.

Thanks for reading!

22. shannonkeary says:

This was such an interesting read! I studied for a TEFL qualification a few years ago (through the online course) but just never felt qualified enough to do anything with it! It must have been incredible to be so immersed in the local life. Thanks for sharing! Xoxo

Shan// http://www.cultureandcouture.co.uk

1. Erica says:

I think teaching — like so many other trades – is something you really learn as you go. Of course you need training, but nothing can really prepare you until you’re in front of the class, thinking on your feet with 30+ eyes on you! It’s great you have the TEFL to fall back on in case you decide to switch it up someday – it gives you so many opportunities to travel and live abroad!

23. Laura SP says:

This is an amazing post about people who would like to live abroad 🙂 thanks for sharing!

24. This sound like an amazing experience to be part of! I teach abroad now as a primary teacher but would love to have done something like this when I was younger!